There is still a general misunderstanding from International Companies obtaining Weibo verification with many foreign businesses thinking that verified Sina Weibo accounts are only possible if you are a Chinese business (with a Chinese business license). This is not true and not leveraging the Weibo verification means that there is a lot foreign firms not taking advantage of this powerful Chinese social media channel.
There are broadly three scenarios for foreign companies to obtain enterprise (brand) Weibo account verification.
SCENARIO 1: Verifying an account as a local Chinese company, zero cost to set up
1. The first step is to prepare all information and materials for verifying Weibo account. The details of needed information/documents are:
- The current information about the company, including official name of company and contact email address.
- Detailed information of the business license, such as registration number of business license, company location address and postcode, set-up date of company, and term of operation, etc.
- Scan copy of business license and certificate of organization code in color.
2. Go to the Weibo verifying website http://e.weibo.com/register/register (In Chinese language, so you can use a translation plugin to assist) and follow the instructions to finish registration of a Weibo official account. After all the information has been provided, it takes 5 -8 days to go through the process of verification.
SCENARIO 2: Verifying an account via your China distributor, zero cost to set up
If a foreign company has its trademark registered in China, then it can choose to verify its Weibo account via its official Chinese distributor.
1. Prepare all needed information/documents from your distributor side.
- Certificate of dealership* (an authorization letter to prove the legality of your distributor’s operation on your products)
- Chinese business license of your distributor’s company
2. Follow all steps of scenario 1. After all the information has been provided, it takes 7 – 10 days to go through the process of verification.
SCENARIO 3: Overseas verification. Sina Verification fees charged according to your current country (US$800 – 1,100).
For International companies whose business license nor trademark is registered in China, you can contact Digital Jungle to help you gain verification for your company Weibo account. You will need to provide the following information to your Digital Jungle Account Manager:
1. Needed information/documents:
- Company registration documents/business license and its translations in English.
- Third Party Authorization Letter*
- Authorization Application Letter*
- Introduction of the company about its products and services
- Operation person/team contact information
2. Send the above listed documents to your Account Manager at Digital Jungle. After all the information has been provided, it usually takes 2-3 weeks to go through the process of verification.